Easy Organic Gardening and Moon Planting
By Lyn Bagnall
(Scribe Publications 2006, 2009, 2012, also e-book 2012)
This practical handbook of 500 pages written by the author of the BFA Organic School Gardens program (a certified organic farmer and gardener) is recommended as a reference for supervisors of this program.
Unlike many 'organic' gardening books, Easy Organic Gardening and Moon Planting contains only genuine organic practices suited to Australian soils and climates, and in line with Australian organic standards that are suitable for school garden programs.
In using this popular Australian gardening book as a reference, teachers and supervisors will quickly develop organic gardening expertise that will assist their students to achieve excellent results from their gardening efforts.
To assist supervisors where information in the book relates to particular points in the program's lessons, page references are given in the supervisors' notes of the program as (Easy Organic Gardening and Moon Planting pp …..)
Comprehensive information on all subjects in the BFA Organic School Gardens program is covered in this book, including:
• Detailed cultivation notes and gardening tips for individual fruits, vegetables, culinary herbs and flowering annuals
• A monthly garden diary that advises what to sow, plant out and fertilise in each Australian climate zone, and how to identify your local climate zone*
• Why biological activity in soil is essential for sustainable cultivation practices – how it restores health to garden soils, and assists plants to become naturally resistant to pests, diseases and adverse climate conditions
• Easy-to-follow guides on composting, worm farming and growing green manures
• How to use a range of organic fertilisers effectively
• How soil pH affects plant growth
• Growing food crops where space is limited
• Using crop rotation to prevent soil-borne diseases
• How to drought-proof gardens, save water, and protect them from weather extremes
• A simple guide to plant propagation
• How to recognise and encourage beneficial fauna in gardens
• Organic methods of pest control
* The gardening diary can be used without moon planting by simply selecting any of the recommended plants listed for your climate zone each month.
Organic cultivation methods reduce our carbon footprint, store carbon naturally, and protect the environment. They are suitable for both small and large scale gardening and farming. Cultivation information for Australian natives and popular exotics, and a list of drought-resistant shrubs and trees is also included in Easy Organic Gardening and Moon Planting to assist in making your school grounds more environmentally-friendly and more tolerant of adverse climate conditions.
"By sharing, in a practical way, our knowledge of sustainable organic cultivation, we can provide our children with the skills and confidence they will need to produce delicious, healthy food for an increasing population on a changing planet." – Lyn Bagnall
Copies of Easy Organic Gardening and Moon Planting can be ordered directly from the BFA Book Shop for a special school’s price of $45.00 including postage (normally $60.00 including postage and handling) or from BFA Head Office by calling 07 3350 5716.
The Big Book Club included Easy Organic Gardening and Moon Planting in their recommended reading promotion for December 2009 and January 2010. The Big Book Club Inc. is supported by the Australian Government's arts funding and advisory body – The Australian Council for the Arts.
…'jam-packed with fascinating information … an easy and accessible book that will, for many, open a hidden door to a whole new world of gardening. For experienced gardeners it will become a welcome and constant companion.' – (Australian Certified Organic magazine)
…' a very enjoyable read, written by an experienced, passionate organic farmer and gardener. This book is a useful reference tool for novices and experienced gardeners.' – Josh Byrne (Gardening Australia magazine)
'Lyn Bagnall has produced a reference work of incredible proportions … It should become a benchmark among the many smaller and not-so thorough ones on the subject … Aspiring and experienced gardeners of all kinds will find the wide range of this book extremely helpful.' – Pat Coleby (author of 'Natural Farming')
'This is really the only kitchen gardening book you’ll ever need.' – (Habitat Australia)
'This terrific book shows you how and why it can and should be done … It could answer all my queries – in a straightforward, practical sort of way.' – Sally Madsen (Readings, Carlton)
'This is organic gardening at its best.' – Lorraine Parker (Hunter Organics)
'A detailed guide to organics ranging from seed germination and nutrition to practical pest and disease control … Get growing!' – Dave Fawkner (Organic Gardener magazine)
'This is the most comprehensive guide to complete organic gardening … a fabulous resource both for the beginner and the more experienced gardener.' – (Earth Garden magazine)